Pharmacology and Therapeutic Applications of Antiarrhythmic Medications - Grant Shaddix, PharmD, BCPS
Heart not beating right? Don’t miss this review of current updates!
- Describe basic physiological characteristics of the cardiomyocyte action potential and its relationship with common antiarrhythmic medications
- Classify antiarrhythmic medications based on basic pharmacology and their relation to the Vaughan-William Classification System
- Discuss common indications for antiarrhythmic medications as they relate to atrial and ventricular arrhythmias
- Evaluate patients that may benefit from specific antiarrhythmic therapy and optimize patient therapeutic outcomes
- Develop specific patient monitoring plans for antiarrhythmic therapy
- Identify common adverse effects associated with the antiarrhythmic medications and initiate beneficial mitigation strategies
My Head Hurts – Current Treatments for Migraine Headaches - Nancy Rodriguez-Weller, RPh., FASCP
Current diagnosis and treatment options.
- Describe three critical concepts for treating migraine headaches
- Identify pharmacological options for both acute and preventative treatment of migraine headaches
- Describe a multidisciplinary approach as part of the treatment plan for treating migraine headaches
Traditional and Alternative Strategies for Anxiety, Mood, and Cognitive Support - Jamie Garonzik, PA-C
Traditional treatments are reviewed as well as additional considerations such as supplements and lifestyle modifications to maximize the benefits.
- Clinicians will identify approaches for attention, anxiety, and depressive disorder management, utilizing holistic treatment modalities in place of or in addition to typical pharmacological agents
- Clinicians will develop understanding of neurocognitive imbalances and their role in mood disorders, and how to approach treatment focusing on underlying etiology vs symptom management
- Clinicians will explore common mood disorders, consideration of typical pharmacological treatments and side effects, and discuss alternative approaches for euthymia
Thyroid Function: Beyond TSH and T4 - Jim Paoletti, BS Pharmacy, FAARFM, FIACP
An in depth review of lab testing, evaluating options, synthetic and natural treatment options as well as supplements to consider to optimize thyroid function.
- Discuss the causes of symptoms of low thyroid function and appropriate testing to identify which may be occurring in the patient
- Identify what things can inhibit conversion of T4 to T3
- Discuss the contents of the different thyroid preparations available to the practitioner and therapeutic use of each
Menopausal Hormone Replacement: Twenty Years in Review - Zachary Phillips, PharmD
A re-evaluation and what that means for Hormone Replacement. A look back at this landmark study and what we have learned. Traditional vs. Bioidentical Hormone Replacement and what to consider when prescribing.
- Discuss findings of landmark trials relevant to menopause hormone therapy.
- Describe the risks and benefits of hormone treatment in women.
- Identify candidates for hormone therapy. 4. Prescribe treatment for hot flashes in postmenopausal patients.
The Lowdown on the New Covid Treatment Pills - Rohini Dave, PharmD
A review of Pfizer’s Paxlovid (nirmatrelvir tablets and ritonavir tablets, co-packaged for oral use) and molnupiravir, developed by Merck. Studies, prescribing practices and more!
- Compare various therapeutics authorized for use for the treatment of COVID-19 in the outpatient setting.
- Describe important safety considerations associated with use of various COVID-19 therapeutics.
- Summarize clinical efficacy data associated with novel oral antivirals.
Head to Toe: A Focus on First-Line Antibiotics in the Treatment of Common Infections - Brittany LaViola, PharmD
What are the offending bugs and what are the current recommendations for treatment. A head to toe review of the up to date treatments.
- Identify first line antibiotics used in treating a variety of infections.
- Recall antibiotics used in the treatment of multi-drug resistant organisms.
- Describe common adverse drug reactions of first line antibiotics.
- Compare and contrast monitoring parameters of first line antibiotics.
The Who, What, When, and Why of Continuous Glucose Monitoring - Nimita Sharma, PharmD and Laura Demilio, PharmD, AAHIVP
What, who, how and more!
- Describe characteristics of the four FDA approved CGMs available in the United States
- Identify and assess patients who are candidates for CGMs and determine which device is most appropriate
- Discuss how to interpret glucose report and use to make clinical/shared decision making
- Explain goals of therapy and how to measure outcomes